About The Club
The Bronxville Field Club was founded in 1925. It grew out of the Bronxville Athletic Association, which had been in existence since 1904. The members at that time played on the Garden Avenue Tennis Courts, which are still in existence and now owned by the Village of Bronxville. Athletic Association members Joseph Brown, James Garretson and Harvey McClintlock decided to create the Bronxville Field Club.
On May 15, 1925 the current upper bank of seven tennis courts were completed on the six acres that comprise the present site at 40 Locust Lane. There are now 14 courts, 12 Har-Tru and two Hydro. The two Hydro courts have been available since 2005 for use from October to April under an air structure known as the Bubble.
The Clubhouse, which formerly included a bowling alley in the basement, was opened on March 7, 1926, with a Club membership of 216. Major renovations initiated in 1994 resulted in the installation of a new kitchen and an outdoor grill. Further improvements in 2007/2008, included the renovation of the Clubhouse to add a new casual dining area (“The Racquets Grill”), outdoor grill, kitchen, Pro Shop and fitness center.
The Club’s first paddle courts were built in 1932, and the swimming pool was constructed in 1939. The squash house was built in the 1940’s, financed by the generosity of several members. In 1997, the swimming pool was replaced with one measuring 25 meters in length with eight lanes and a diving board and the squash house was replaced with a new two court facility meeting international standards; a third court was added in 2008.
Today the Bronxville Field Club is widely regarded as a family-oriented recreational and social hub.